You would be surprised to know the number of people who primarily use their garage door as a point of entry. Bear in mind; manual garage door openers are now a thing in the past. Whether you are getting wooden garage doors or anything else, the majority of the heavy lifting is done by the springs, motor, and the opener itself.
Being an integral part of the system, it is very important to keep track of the garage door torsion spring. With constant expansion and compression, these springs are always subjected to wear and tear. So, the sole purpose of this article is to make you aware of the various instances, how you can improve the longevity of the garage door along with the springs.
What is the Best Way to Locate Your Garage Door Springs?
As stated earlier, garage door springs play a crucial role in a seamless operation. So here are some of the ways in which you can locate the garage door springs during maintenance:
- Spotting the Spring: Torsion springs are the garage door parts Las Vegas which tend to be cylindrical in shape. Generally, they resemble that of a long coil. You will always find them colored in black. Most of the time, their height ranges from 2 to 4 feet. Sometimes you might also find that the springs are not mounted on the door itself. Under such circumstances, they are located at circular openings on each side.
- Locating the Spring: Now that you know how the garage door spring looks like, it’s time to find where exactly it is located. There are actually two different types of springs you can find out there. One of them being the torsion spring. They are fastened right above the garage door. Extension springs, on the other hand, are actually located on either side of the garage door.
Common Reasons for Garage Door Spring malfunctioning
Every time you operate your garage door, it adds a significant amount of stress to the spring. That is why, if you want to use your garage door for years to come, it is very important to maintain them from time to time. Some of the most common reason why your garage door may malfunction includes:
- Regular Wear and Tear: Any broken torsion spring is by far the most common reason why your garage won’t function properly. These springs degrade over time, as they tend to lose their tension gradually. The standard lifespan of a garage door spring lasts for almost 10,000 cycles. You can have a better understanding by comparing the same with that of a rubber band. The more you stretch it, the more it loses its strength over time. But at the same time, there are always several measures you can take to help the garage door spring last longer.
- Poor Maintenance: As stated earlier, everything comes down to poor maintenance. Apart from regular wear and tear, poor maintenance can also speed up the entire process. Tending properly to the torsion spring can significantly improve the lifespan. Make sure not to overlook your garage door spring at any cost. Not only will it end up breaking them, but it can also impact other parts of the garage door as well.
- Buildup Rust: Under certain climatic conditions, the buildup rust can significantly speed up the wear and tear as well. Although rusting within the spring can’t be stopped, it can be delayed while applying WD-40. It can protect your garage door spring along with other parts from rust buildup.
Garage Door Spring Maintenance Tips
Bear in mind, based on the condition of the garage door; you should always opt for periodic maintenance either quarterly or at least once a year. Here are some of the step to properly maintain your garage door:
1) Disconnect the Garage Door Opener
Before you even get started with maintaining your garage door, it is very important that you disconnect the garage door power supply. Consult with your garage door manual to find the safest way to unplug the same. Now, detach the opener from the entire opening mechanism.
2) Get a Closer Look
Now that there is no longer any power supply attached to the opener, you can safely get along with the opener. So, its time that you bust out the ladder and get along with the opener shaft. Generally, you can find the same at the top of the garage door. The spring is wrapped around the long bar. So, inspect the bar and make sure that the shaft is smoothly rotating. If you are finding it hard to move around, make sure to call the professionals.
3) Look into the Mounting Brackets
Right into the area where the torsion springs are actually bolted, you will be able to find the mounting bracket. Now, all you need to do is seek if the brackets are properly secured or not. At the same time, if there is any kind of corrosion, you easily file the same as well.
4) Lubricating the Garage Door Spring
Assuming that you have properly gone through all the steps mentioned above, it’s time to lubricate the spring before wrapping up everything. Bear in mind that lubricating your garage door is something you should always do at least twice a year. Now, make sure that the lubricants are applied to all the moving parts of the garage door, including the bearings.
The Bottom Line
Silver Fox is a garage repair company Las Vegas that is solely focused on the idea to provide utmost customer satisfaction. We have a clear understanding of the importance of a quality garage door spring. We always make sure that the homeowners are never at the risk of getting hurt due to broken springs. Working with all the major manufacturers and suppliers, you can rest assured of getting authentic parts. So, what 3ware you waiting for? Grab the greatest opportunity of all time and get in touch with Silver Fox Garage Door Repair.